- Strengthen the capacity of Muungano groups to create and consolidate inclusive and democratic structures of governance;
- Consolidate Pamoja Trust’s strategic partnerships to effectively and directly advocate for security of tenure and deliver adequate housing to its targeted areas;
- Network with other actors in re-shaping the public discourse and influencing policy formulation and implementation on land, housing, basic services and livelihoods in favour of the urban poor;
- Enhance the right institutional capacity of Pamoja Trust to ensure effective and efficient management and governance.
Supporting the Urban Poor
Pamoja Trust expansive focus recognizes the complex, multidimensional nature of poverty in today’s cities. With a vision of strengthening the voice and space for the urban poor, PTs core activities encompass the following areas:
- Establishing and strengthening of savings and credit schemes;
- The consolidation and political formation of Muungano wa wanavijiji and other people’s organization;
- Precedent –setting urban planning, house modeling and community led construction;
- Peer exchange with other federation and NGOs throughout Africa and beyond;
- Participatory research, advocacy and lobbying;
- Development of an Urban Poor Fund;
Muungano wa Wanavijiji
Muungano wa Wanavijiji is the Kenyan Federation of Slum Dwellers that was started in 1996 as a network of slums in Nairobi and Athi River. Muungano was formed by slum dwellers facing eviction threats, as an avenue for resistance against brutal evictions and land grabbing that was rampant from the mid 1990s to early 2000s.